Nothing can ruin the holiday spirit faster than becoming the victim of a crime. Criminal activity doesn’t take a holiday. These reminders from the West University Police Department will help us all make this a “Season to be Safe.”
• Never leave your children alone. This is the primary rule.
• Lock your doors and windows when you leave home.
• Don’t display holiday gifts so they’re visible from a window or doorway.
• When you’re not home, turn on some lights and leave a radio on.
• Leave drapes and or curtains in a normal position.
• Mark your valuables with your driver’s license number.
• Pick up mail and newspapers so your house seems occupied.
• Never give information about your home over the telephone.
• Always call the police to report any suspicious activity.
SAFETY WHEN SHOPPING
• Always keep your children close to you.
• Do not shop alone.
• Never take more money than you need to make your purchases.
• Be discreet. Don’t flash your money when paying for items.
• Pay with a check card or credit card.
• Be aware of your surroundings.
• Don’t leave any purchases or purses unattended.
• Don’t overburden yourself with packages.
• Carry your purse close to your body.
SECURING YOUR AUTO
• Always lock your vehicle.
• Use anti-theft devices, if you have them.
• Don’t leave any packages or valuables inside the vehicle.
• Approach your vehicle with your keys out and ready to use.
• Park your vehicle in well-lit areas.
• Keep your vehicle in proper working order.
• If something seems wrong, dial 911.