It is officially spring in West University Place.
In anticipation of the 2015 mosquito season, the City of West University Place will begin city-wide mosquito spraying on Monday April 6. Spraying will be completed between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
Weekly mosquito spraying occurs through October.
If the level of activity requires the need for twice a week spraying during the year, a second treatment will be performed on Thursday nights. Advance notice is sent out as a reminder in such occurrences.
In cases of rain on any scheduled day, spraying will be completed the next night. The spray is spread by air circulation and depending on the thickness of the tree canopy and spacing between homes, there is a possibility that the spray may not reach every rear yard.
The city offers the following tips to minimize mosquito breeding areas:
- Remove/empty containers that can hold water, such as: flower pots, buckets, toys and plastic swimming pools.
- Bird baths and pet water bowls should be changed at least twice a week.
- Keep rain gutters clean and free of debris to prevent standing water.
- Repair leaks in irrigation system to prevent moist/damp areas.
- Report standing water behind the curb via online request “Click West U” or call the Public Works office.
For questions about West U’s spraying, please contact Gerardo Barrera at firstname.lastname@example.org or (713) 662-5395.