West U Council Sets 2013-2015 Goals
The West U City Council has set its goals for 2013-2015 with detention once again topping their list of priorities.
In addition to completing the College Avenue/Bellaire Blvd. Drainage Project, the council will finalize city charter amendments for a November 2013 election and make updates to its parks master plan.
Council’s complete list of goals for their two-year term includes:
- Complete College Avenue/Bellaire Blvd. Drainage Project – obtain remaining 9.1 acre-feet of detention in order to remove outfall restrictor.
- City Charter Amendments – Finalize amendments and prepare for November 2013 Charter Election, including a public information initiative.
- Parks Master Plan – Update plan, including recommendations for acquisition and development of any new parkland. Also include a Parks and Recreation naming rights policy as part of this update.
- Update commercial component of zoning ordinance including all current and potential commercial areas.
- Evaluate The Friends of West University Parks Fund policies and bylaws to reassess their mission and consider modifying to include the ability to launch a capital campaign that could be utilized for the purchase of parkland.
- Evaluate the need for a City Comprehensive Plan update.
- Evaluate and recommend ways to recognize and promote West U businesses.
- Review ordinances regarding placement and specifications of electronic signage, possibly differentiating between signage in commercial and residential areas.
- Evaluate the Community Rating System for flood insurance to determine the cost and potential benefit of City participation.
- Continue to evaluate ways to improve communication with residents and recommend any beneficial changes including social media and click WestU.
- Promote the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program.
- Research recreation programs and activities for “tweens” (10-15 year olds).
- Explore opportunities for West U high school youths to participate in a Mayors Youth Council.
- Evaluate the City’s gateway signage and recommend any needed changes. Goal includes developing a statement of principles for signage to delineate West U from the surrounding areas.
- Continue public campaign to discourage parking over sidewalks.
- Evaluate and recommend ways to increase recycling participation.
- Evaluate and make recommendations for intern program including the evaluation of adding an accountant intern.