West U City Council Supports Alcohol Permits for City Events

April 23, 2012

The West U City Council has approved the first reading of an ordinance to allow for special permits for the consumption of alcoholic beverages on city property.

The council directed city staff in January to bring an ordinance back to council that would allow for a special permitting process for the sale and consumption of alcohol.

Staff recommended that council approve special permits for private events at the Community Building, private events at Colonial Park Pool, and city sanctioned events at Colonial Park, the recreation center and city hall.

Special permits were also recommended for Party on the Patio Summer Concert Series at Colonial Pool, Music Under the Stars Outdoor Classical Concert Series at Colonial Park and various city and “Friends Sociable” events at all four municipal facilities.

Council unanimously approved the first reading of the ordinance. Council will have to approve a second reading before the ordinance can take effect.

Application form and rules require the City of West University Place, Edloe Café Express at Colonial Park, Colonial Park Pool Rental Customers, Community Building Rental Customers and The Friends of West University Place Parks Inc. to:

1) Abide by the laws of the State of Texas regarding the sale, consumption, or distribution of alcoholic beverages, including without limitation, those laws prohibiting the consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons under 21 years of age;

2) Provide that certified law enforcement officers be on duty during the rentals and city related special events where alcohol is to be provided and consumed, as determined necessary by the city manager or his designee, based on a recommendation from and the chief of police or his designee.

3) Agree to indemnify the city, with the obvious exception of city hosted events and activities, from any and all liability associated with the sale, consumption, or distribution of alcoholic beverages in the public place during the duration of the special permit.

Under the proposed ordinance, the permit exclusively allows for the consumption of alcoholic beverages on city property, including either bring your own bottle or allow the permit holder to serve alcohol. The sale of alcohol on municipal property or in any public place will be prohibited.

A $25 non-refundable fee will be charged for each permit issue and each permit application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Glass containers are prohibited at all events.

InstantNewsWestu Staff

View more articles Subscribe