Parks And Recreation Agenda Includes Discussion Of Permits For Sale/Consumption Of Alcoholic Beverages At City Functions/Properties

February 2, 2009

Proposed floor plans for the new West U. Recreation Center as well as the possibility of issuing alcohol permits for events within the city are on the agenda for this week’s Parks and Recreation Board meeting, to take place at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 4 in the Conference Room of the Municipal Building, 3800 University Blvd.


The alcohol permits would allow for the sale and/or consumption of beer and wine at city events and during rentals of city property on a case-by-case basis. Permits would cost $25 for one of three – Permit A, exclusively for events in which participants bring their own beverages, Permit B, in which BYOB is combined with optional alcohol sales and Permit C, in which BYOB is prohibited and alcohol will be sold.


Under the proposal, which has not yet gone before council for approval, permits would be considered for rental functions, such as parties at the community center, that are private events, city-related fundraisers and city sponsored events, such as Party on the Patio at Colonial Park. Friends of West University Place Parks has suggested that the issuance of permits would create a fundraising opportunity for the organization.


Permits would not be considered in the case of for-profit sales of alcohol and private fundraising events. If a permit is granted, at least one West U. police officer will be required during the event at the cost of $30 per hour per officer. The number of officers required will be left to the discretion of the Chief of Police, and depend on the size of the event.


The issuance of the permit would be at the discretion of the city manager or staff member assigned by the city manager, such as the Parks and Recreation Director.

InstantNewsWestu Staff

View more articles Subscribe