HISD Issues New Mandatory Heat Procedures For Football Practice
In the wake of continuing extreme heat, the Houston ISD has issued new mandatory heat procedures to all head football coaches.
The procedures were distributed in the form of a memo from Daryl Wade, the district’s athletic director. It was issued last week.
Among the procedures put in place are requirements that morning practices can continue no later than 10 a.m. and evening practices cannot begin before 5 p.m.
Other practice procedures included:
– Established hydration procedures will be continued.
– Teams may practice twice a day.
– Before and after practice, athletes must be hydrated with 16 ounces of water or sports drink.
– Helmets must be removed when players are not in drills.
– Teams must have ice towels/sponges in place.
– Athletes must be allowed to have water as needed or as requested
Additionally, Wade told coaches they must constantly monitor athletes for muscle cramps, profuse sweating, nauseous feeling, disorientation or clammy skin. If they observe any such conditions, medical assistance must be called.
“If athletes are not sweating during practice or drills, stop, and get them cooled off and call 911,” Wade added.
The procedures will remain in effect until further notice.