Gunman Robs People Walking Down Lake Street
Two people were walking in the 6200 block of Lake Street last week when an armed robber approached them and demanded property. The suspect pointed a handgun at the victim while a witness watched the incident.
After the aggravated robbery, which happened just before midnight noon, the pair continued walking to the corner of Amherst Street and Kirby Drive, where officers met them and took information for a crime report. Police are investigating the incident.
Four people reported thefts to West University Place police during the week of March 14 to 20.
- On March 15, police responded to a home under construction in the 4000 block of Riley Street. Someone had entered the site and stolen copper tubing that was already installed in the house.
- On March 18, the city of West U. became the victim of theft. Someone entered an electrical closet in the 4200 block of Bellaire Boulevard and stole electrician’s tools that belonged to the city.
- On March 19, police took reports of a theft of a back flow valve that had happened overnight in the 5300 block of Buffalo Speedway.
- On March 20, officers responded to the 4200 block of Byron Street because a resident reported that someone stole a bag of precious coins.
Two people were arrested for public intoxication last week.
- In the first case on March 18, an officer approached a vehicle with an unconscious person inside, learned the person was drunk, and took him into custody.
- On March 20, an officer responded to a disturbance in the 2600 block of Bissonnet Street. One person there had slurred speech and smelled like alcohol. The officer investigated, determined the man was drunk, and arrested him.
Officers arrested three suspects for driving with suspended licenses.
- On March 14, police pulled over a car because it had defective equipment. The driver had no license or car insurance, and when the officer looked up his record, he found past convictions for driving with no insurance.
- On March 17, an officer pulled over a pickup truck for speeding, and learned the driver had a suspended license and no car insurance. During the traffic stop, police also found two grams of marijuana.
- On March 18, an officer conducted a traffic stop and ended up arresting the driver for driving with an invalid license.
Other incidents reported last week included:
- On March 17, an officer spotted a man walking in the 5900 block of Community Drive carrying folders similar to door-to-door solicitors’ folders. The officer checked the man’s ID and found he had four outstanding felony warrants for forgery of financial instruments. Police arrested him for the warrants.
- On March 17, a resident in the 4100 block of Byron Street reported that someone smashed her vehicle’s window and stole her purse with money, credit cards and other property.
- Also on March 17, a resident in the 2600 block of Bissonnet Street reported someone had smashed his vehicle’s window, but no property was missing. Police recorded the incident as criminal mischief.