Future of West U Parks on the Table, Council to Discuss Parkland Acquisition Monday
The West University Place City Council will discuss the results of the community survey that was recently completed as part of a rewrite of the Parks Master Plan.
A discussion about the future plans for the development and maintenance of West University Place parks will be on the agenda for both the workshop and regular City Council meeting on Monday, beginning at 5:30 p.m. in the Municipal Building, 3800 University Blvd. The Mayor and City Council encourage residents to share their thoughts during the public comments portion of the meeting.
A few snapshots from the Park Survey:
- Over half of the West U of residents use at least one West U park at least once a month (56%).
- Residents believe that parks are well-maintained (87%).
- 82% of residents say they can easily walk to a West U park.
- 32% of the respondents think additional parkland should be acquired between Edloe and Buffalo Speedway, while 30% said no additional parkland in the area was needed. A plurality, 38%, is neutral. .
- 22% of the respondents think additional parkland is needed in the areas located east of Buffalo Speedway or west of Edloe, while 32% of respondents disagree. A plurality, 45%, is neutral.
- Only 27% agreed that they would support a property tax increase to acquire and develop new parkland.
A copy of the Survey Snapshot and Executive Summary is available at: http://www.westutx.gov/index.aspx?page=26&recordid=967&returnURL=/index.aspx
If you have additional questions, contact please contact City Secretary Thelma Lenz at 713.662.5813.