Families Invited To Free Day Of Active Play And Resources For Healthier Living
The Weekley Family YMCA will take part in the 18th Annual YMCA Healthy Kids Day on April 18. The free health and wellness fair is the nation’s largest health day for children, with more than 1,700 YMCAs across the country. YMCA Healthy Kids Day includes activities for children and families and promotes healthy relationships, wellness and healthy living.
This year, the Weekley Family YMCA is addressing childhood obesity, in part, through the Y2015 concept, an evidence-based formula for preventing and reducing the risk of childhood obesity.
– 2-spend two hours or less in front of the computer or TV
– 0-drink zero sugary soft drinks
– 1-eat one meal a day as a family and spend at least one hour a day in physical activity
– 5-consume five servings of fruits and vegetables
The event is free and open to the public. Activities for YMCA Healthy Kids Day include:
– Bounce houses and field events for the entire family
– Face-painting and arts and crafts activities
– Door prizes and a chance to win a Grand Prize YMCA Family Package
– Vendors will be on hand such as Chick-fil-A, Mad Science, Texas Children’s Hospital,
and the McGovern Branch of the Houston Public Library
“As families struggle to balance life’s daily demands and persevere during an economic downturn, it is important that we reach beyond our YMCA facility to the entire community,” said Dawn Dunn, Wellness programs director. “Through this event, the Weekley Family YMCA and our partners have given our neighbors the opportunity to take their minds off daily stresses, focus on healthy lifestyles together, as a family, and just play.”
For more information call the Weekley Family YMCA at 713-664-9622.