Ex-Husband Assaults Woman’s New Date
A couple in West University Place had a very unwelcome surprise awaiting them after returning home from a date last week.
On March 24 around 8:50 p.m. the couple returned to the woman’s home in the 4000 block of Oberlin Street. The woman’s ex-husband of more than two years was there, and he assaulted the man when he was getting out of the car.
“The poor guy was on a date with the wrong girl, and was at the wrong place at the wrong time,” said West U. Lt. Charlie Deily. “[The ex-husband] was given a trespass warning and no one wanted to file any charges, they just wanted him to go away.”
Police didn’t have the legal authority to move forward with assault charges on their own because the incident wasn’t classified as a family violence situation.
On March 25, an officer responded to a burglar alarm in the 2700 block of Tangley Road and found that someone had forced open a window. No one was inside the home, and nothing appeared disturbed. When the residents returned home, they confirmed that nothing was missing. The officer recorded the incident as criminal mischief.
Three people were arrested during the week for driving with invalid driver’s licenses.
- On March 21, an officer pulled over a vehicle for speeding and learned the driver had a suspended license and no insurance, with a previous arrest history of the same. The officer arrested the driver.
- On March 22, an officer pulled over a vehicle with no front license plate. The driver had a suspended license and eight warrants from four law enforcement agencies. The driver was arrested for the offense and for the warrants.
- On March 23, an officer pulled over a car with a shattered front windshield. The driver was arrested for driving with a suspended license.
Other incidents reported to police last week include:
- On March 21, a resident reported someone had stolen pool equipment from his home in the 3300 block of Georgetown Street.
- On March 22, a resident reported someone had made deep scratches on the resident’s vehicle in the 4100 block of Ruskin Street.
- On March 23, a restaurant in the 5600 block of Kirby Drive reported someone ordered food and drinks and left without paying.
- On March 26, a West U. officer met a Missouri City police officer to pick up a prisoner who had outstanding West U. warrants.
- On March 26, an officer made a traffic stop, arrested the driver for traffic violations, and also arrested the passenger for possession of marijuana.