City steps up skeeter spraying
Due to the recent increase in mosquito activity, the city of West University Place will be doubling up weekly sprayings on a week-to-week basis. An additional mosquito spraying is scheduled for tonight.
All sprayings take place between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
The weekly spraying that takes place each Monday will remain unchanged.
Residents are advised that the spray is spread by air circulation and depending on the thickness of the tree canopy and spacing between homes, there is a possibility that the spray may not reach every rear yard.
To minimize the mosquito population, residents are asked to take a few minutes to ensure that there are no areas where mosquitoes are breeding.
Mosquito breeding can be reduced, by taking several steps:
• Remove/empty containers that can hold water, such as flower pots, buckets, toys and plastic swimming pools.
• Bird baths and pet water bowls should be changed at least twice a week.
• Keep rain gutters clean and free of debris to prevent standing water.
• Repair leaks in irrigation system to prevent moist/damp areas in your yard.
• Report standing water behind the curb via online request Click West U or call our Public Works office.
For questions about West U’s spraying, please contact Gerardo Barrera at firstname.lastname@example.org or (713) 662-5395.