Activities, Refreshments And Free Admission To 15 Museums On Sept. 20
Fifteen museums will participate in Museum District Day from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 20. A free shuttle will be provided to museum-goers as they take part in exhibitions, hands-on activities, demonstrations and performances as the 15 museums waive their general admission fee.
Participating museums include the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum, Byzantine Fresco Chapel Museum, Children’s Museum of Houston, Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, The Health Museum, Holocaust Museum Houston, Houston Center for Contemporary Craft, Houston Center for Photography, Houston Museum of Natural Science, The John C. Freeman Weather Museum, Lawndale Art Center, The Menil Collection, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Rice University Art Gallery and The Rothko Chapel.
- Build intricate structures with ZOOB, a colorful ball-and-socket system at Children’s Museum of Houston. Make a pirate hat; explore the properties of buoyancy; and watch Kids’ First Movies.
- On the front lawn of Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, DJ Jeffery Mac spins major movements in UK rock, pop and dance music, inspired by the Sam-Taylor Wood exhibit. It’s snowing inside the Museum – there will be an 8-foot snowman outside; and an interactive Snow installation inside.
- At Holocaust Museum Houston, children can enjoy arts and crafts projects designed to teach them about inspiration and hope while adults can learn from the true-life stories of two Houston-area Holocaust survivors. Children who donate five handmade butterflies to the Museum’s on-going Butterfly Project will receive a free child’s admission ticket to the Houston Museum of Natural science or Space Center Houston. Visit www.1075khits.com
- At Houston Center for Contemporary Craft, visitors can interact with craft artists and watch demonstrations during the annual “Gathering of the Guilds.” In the main gallery, visitors can view pottery on display in Warren McKenzie: Legacy of an American Potter.
- Stop by the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston for ongoing art-making activities all day located within the Beck porte-cochere. Sketch in the African Gold gallery; enjoy family and Spotlight tours; plus film screenings throughout the day of The Black List, Volume 1; and more.
- Join in the W-Zone, at The Weather Museum featuring an inflatable bounce house; weather experiment demos; scavenger hunts; color and cool prize drawing and giveaways all centered on weather and engineering activities co-sponsored by Weatherford International.
- Enjoy the new 3-D film, Expedition 3D: The Cell in the new McGovern 4-E Theater at The Health Museum, every half hour. Take part in activities with The Houston Rockets, YMCA of Greater Houston, Sunny 99.1 and more. Interactive science experiments and arts and crafts will be available throughout the day.
- Ask artist Aurora Robson about her new site-specific installation, The Great Indoors, created from 10,000 plastic bottles at Rice University Art Gallery.
Special event times include:
- 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Make art at Lawndale Art Center. Grab some chalk and illustrate Houston on the back patio, then venture inside to decorate postcards. Mail your postcard creations to friends and family courtesy of Lawndale.
- Noon – 5 p.m.
Witness a performance about the life of General Harriet Tubman of the Underground Railroad at Buffalo Soldiers National Museum every hour on the hour.
- Noon – 5 p.m.
At The Menil Collection, enjoy the percussive sounds of D.R.U.M. (Divine Rhythm, United Motion), peruse a sale at the Menil Bookstore, and enjoy free exhibition posters and refreshments.
For more information on Museum District Day visit www.houstonmuseumdistrict.org.